Journals and Book Chapters
All publications are .pdf's.
- Dahmus, M.E., and K.C. Nelson. 2014. Nature discourses in the residential yard in Minnesota (.pdf). Landscape and Urban Planning Special Issue: Actionable Urban Ecology in China and the World 125:183-187.
- Dahmus, Maria E. and Kristen C. Nelson. 2013. Yard stories: examining residents’ conceptions of their yards as part of the urban ecosystem in Minnesota. Urban Ecosystems. Published online 27 March 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s11252-013-0306-3.
- Martini, N.F., K.C. Nelson, S.E. Hobbie, and L.A. Baker. 2013. Why "Feed the Lawn"? Exploring the Influences on Residential Turf Grass Fertilization in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metropolitan Area (.pdf). Environment and Behavior. DOI:10.1177/0013916513492418
- Fissore, C., J. P. McFadden, K. C. Nelson, E. B. Peters, S. E. Hobbie, J. Y. King, L. A. Baker and I. Jakobsdottir. 2012. Potential impacts of emerald ash borer invasion on biogeochemical and water cycling in residential landscapes across a metropolitan region (.pdf). Urban Ecosystems. Published online May 2012. DOI: 10.1007/s11252-012-0239-2.
- Fissore, C., S. E. Hobbie, J. Y. King, J. P. McFadden, K. C. Nelson, and L. A. Baker. 2012. The residential landscape: fluxes of elements and the role of household decisions (.pdf). Urban Ecosystems 15(1):1-18. DOI 10.1007/s11252=011-0189-0
- Knapp, S., L. Dinsmore, C. Fissore, S. E. Hobbie, I. Jakobsdottir, J. Kattge, J. King, S. Klotz, J. P. McFadden, and J. Cavender-Bares. 2012. Phylogenetic and functional characteristics of household yard floras and their changes along an urbanization gradient (.pdf). Ecology. In Press.
- Peters, E. B., and J. P. McFadden. 2012. Continuous measurements of net CO2 exchange by vegetation and soils in a suburban landscape (.pdf), J. Geophys. Res., 117, G03005. doi:10.1029/2011JG001933.
- Baker, Lawrence A. 2011. Can urban P conservation help to prevent the brown devolution? (.pdf) Chemosphere 84(6):779-784.
- Fissore, C., L. A. Baker, S. E. Hobbie, J. Y. King, J. P. McFadden, K. C. Nelson, and I. Jakobsdottir. 2011. Carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus fluxes in household ecosystems in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota urban region (.pdf). Ecological Applications 21(3): 619-639. Supplemental materials: Appendix A (Ecological Archives A021-034-A1), Appendix B (Ecological Archives A021-034-A2).
- Baker, L. 2009. New directions in management of urban pollution. In: Baker, L. (ed), The Water Environment of Cities, Springer Science, Lowell, MA.
- Baker, L., B. Wilson, D. Fulton and B. Horgan. 2008. Disproportionality as a framework to target nutrient reduction from urban landscapes. (.pdf) (Invited paper) Cities and the Environment 1(2): Article 7.
- Baker, L. A. and P.L. Brezonik. 2007. Using whole-system mass balances to craft novel approaches for pollution reduction: examples at scales from households to urban regions. In: Cities of the Future: Towards Integrated Sustainable Water and Landscape Management, edited by V. Novotny and P. Brown, IWA Publishing, London.
- Baker, L.A. 2007. Symposium: Effect of human choice on characteristics of urban ecosystems. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 88(4): 404-409.
- Baker, L.A., P. Hartzheim, S. Hobbie, K. Nelson, J. King. 2007. Effect of consumption choices on fluxes of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus through households (.pdf). Urban Ecosystems 10:97-117. DOI 10.1007/s11252-006-0014-3
- Savanick, S., L.A. Baker,and J. Perry. 2007. Case study for evaluating campus sustainability: nitrogen balance for the University of Minnesota (.pdf). Urban Ecosystems 10:119-137. DOI 10.1007/s11252-007-0018-7